Health Information Exchange (HIE)
Health information exchange (HIE) is the transmission of clinical data among disparate healthcare information systems according to national standards for interoperability, security and confidentiality. With more and more healthcare organizations transitioning to electronic health records versus paper charts, HIE is the logical next step to improving patient care coordination and treatment outcomes. The reason for this is that HIE makes it possible for health professionals to securely share and access patient information electronically, in order to improve the timeliness, quality, safety and efficiency of care.
Without HIE, patients must carry paper records from one appointment to another or physicians must rely on fax to share patient health records with other providers. However, oftentimes this does not happen, resulting in disjointed care.
At 1st Providers Choice, we understand the importance of healthcare connectedness through HIE, which is why we have developed a flexible and interoperable EHR solution. We use advanced technologies and offer comprehensive services to help our clients meet their data sharing needs.
Health information exchange can significantly improve the completeness of patients’ health records by making vital medical data, such as past medical history, family medical history, and past and current medications, available at each visit to all providers participating in the HIE. This greatly benefits providers and patients, as it allows for better care coordination.
HIE also allows healthcare professionals to:
- Provide effective care, taking the patient’s full medical history into consideration
- Make more accurate diagnoses
- Reduce healthcare costs by avoiding duplicate treatments and tests
- Increase efficiency by eliminating unnecessary paperwork
- Improve care plan management to avoid readmissions
- Provide patients with resources to manage all aspects of their health
One of the biggest benefits of health information exchange, however, is the standardization of data. When data can be shared between and seamlessly integrated into different EHR systems, the patient ultimately wins.
Types of Health Information Exchange
The two types of HIEs generally available to healthcare professionals include:
- Directed Exchange: Allows providers to send and receive secure information electronically to support coordinated care.
- Query-based Exchange: Allows providers to find and/or request information on a patient from other providers, often used for unplanned care.
1st Providers Choice can setup a health information exchange for you or help you integrate your EHR software with an existing HIE.
To learn more, call 480-782-1116 or contact us online.